Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Barometer Dismantling

If it has actually moved then surely the bellows must be working. Tapping is
often needed on these things to make them move as I'm sure you are aware.
The original touch sensitive devices!
You need another one to see if the readings agree, as pressure has been not
hugely different in the last few days or so.
You can hear the pressures on forecasts or on the web. I have an air band
radio so being near an airport I can tune in to the volme, and there you can
get your elevation to set the offset of courset.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"thescullster" wrote in message
. uk...
On 28/06/2013 09:10, newshound wrote:
On 28/06/2013 08:43, thescullster wrote:
Hi all

Back again with the old baro!

So I decided to take a peak last night to see if the chain was crudded
up or the bellows unit shot.
But fell at the (almost) first hurdle.
Unscrewed three screws around the glass perimeter expecting the whole
gubbins to lift out but no, just the glass lifts away and the dial etc
remains housed in the wood casing.
Unscrewed the screws around the dial, but that is held captive by the
needle.

So, how do I remove the needle - it appears to be kind of riveted to the
shaft end?

Before and after investigations, when the glass is tapped the needle
moves 3-5mm. The needle seems fairly free to rotate, so presumably the
chain gubbins is likely to be OK, but the bellows not? I have not seen
the needle move more than an inch or so in either direction (from the 12
o'clock position).

I guess if I can get the needle off without damaging the internals, all
will be revealed.

Thanks

Phil

Clock hands are normally "push fit" on the spindle but can get very
tight. Like you, I think I'd expect the whole assembly to come out. Is
it held in from the back?

Hi newshound

No there is no back access except for a small hole to an adjusting screw.
The way the glass and dial are fixed the internals are clearly accessed
from the front only.

Phil