Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default GFI Caused a Fire!

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 06:27:09 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Even after looking it up last year, I never did understand what an

Edison circuit is or how it's different from any other circuit.

An Edison circuit allows you to save running one neutral wire.
Let's say I'm putting in new outlets, a long run from the
panel. There are enough outlets that I would need to pull
two romex cables, ie one hot, one neutral, one ground. Each
cable would serve half those outlets.

With an Edison, I can pull one romex with two hots, one neutral,
one ground. The one neutral is shared by the two groups of
outlets. I've traded two cables for one and reduced the
number of conductors by one, all of which save some $$.

Thanks. This all seems so simple now, I wonder why I didn't
understand it the last time. ~~~~~!