Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] franklin.macintosh@gmail.com is offline

Default Oil/plastic smell from fan, want to clean/oil motor

Darn. I pasted the URL with the IMG tags cuz that's what the host website said to do. Not for usenet, I guess. Thanks for pulling it apart to visit the picture. And Dremel seems perfect for the job (I'll try to keep the plastic bits from spraying inward, but I suspect some will get in).

And thanks for the heads up on the 3-in-1. I shall find out about 2-stroke/cycle gas mixing oil: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-stroke_oil . Odd that it is mixed with gasoline and meant to be combusted. However, I'm not pretending to be mechanically proficient!

As for cutting the tabs, I hadn't really thought about physically "damaging" the fan, but it ain't doing any good sitting unused. So might as well.

I don't know anyone who's mechanically minded but I'll see if there is a reputable Mom & Pop repair shop around where they person doesn't mind a spectator as he/she takes a crack at cleaning and lubing the thing.

Thank you for the ideas and know-how, Stormin Christopher, David.