Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Bench progress

On 6/27/2013 9:54 PM, woodchucker wrote:
Both were also out of the 3/4 inch brad point drill bit I need for
the dog holes.

Funny, I was going to comment on the same item; 3/4" dog holes.

A 3/4" spiral bit is an expensive tool for such a hole. I would usea
Home Depot Irwin speed cutting spade bit. They are really nice now
days and in a drill press would surely deliver good results. You can
probably get a whole set for the price of one 3/4 brad point spiral I
assume.

Haven't checked any prices but assume a spiral at Woodcraft ain't cheap.

The 3/4 spiral was cheap compared to carbide, ONSRUD makes a HS steel
one. I think I paid $20 3 years ago at Woodcraft.

I would never have cut my maple with a spade, it most probably would
have twisted off.

I had to use an auger for the bolts on the stretchers/rails which ever
you want to call them in this case, and even with waxing the bit
frequently it did heat up and twist, and that was in beech which I find
more friendly to machine than maple.

Ok, just checked the price on that bit, and it's not close to $20
anymore. Damn, it more than doubled in price in 3years.

--
Jeff