Zymurgy

Default should unswitched live should as live on a neon screwdriver?

usenet wrote
Dave Plowman wrote:
dave L wrote:
I'm a little intrigued that the two cheaper tools are showing the the
phase terminal is live when there should be no current. My real
concern is that these tools infer there is current flowing to the
terminal with the pendant is swicthed off and that there's a
possibility of getting electrocuted when changing a bulb.

What you're seeing is inductive coupling between the 'live' wire and the

Capacitive more likely.

I saw these floats on unterminated earth wires whilst doing my
electrical installations City & Guilds.

But it took completion of my HND in Electrical and Electronic
Engineering to understand why ;-) [1]

I too reckon it's inductive coupling, not capacitive. Although i'm not
saying that metres and metres of dilectric wouldn't hold "some"
charge.

Cheers,

Paul.

[1] Hell, I could probably calculate it !