Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Oil/plastic smell from fan, want to clean/oil motor

I'd avoid three in one, as it is more likely to vapor,
and gum up. Compared to two stroke mixing oil.

Yoururlwassurroundedbyothertext,soI

separated

it out, now my news reader finds it to be clickable.
I'll view the image, in a moment.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
wrote in message ...

Finding an older fan might be a solution. It might be hard to test them for an hour or more specifically on a hot day. For the near term, I'm going to try breaking into my fan and lubing it with 3-in-1 oil.

Two of the latches on the front face of the motor appear to be designed specifically to prevent the disassembly of the housing. I posted a picture at [IMG]

http://i42.tinypic.com/2z5j093.jpg

[/IMG] The hooks at 12 o'clock, 10 o'clock, and 2 o'clock can bend and slip through the hole when the face is lifted forward. But the face can't lift forward because the clips at 5 o'clock and 7 o'clock cannot bend. They are blocked by plastic tabs. It makes me wonder how they ever manage to snap the face plate on.

I'm open to suggestions as to how to get past this road block. Thanks in advance.