Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default Off Topic: Cruise control mod?

On Thursday, June 27, 2013 10:17:50 AM UTC-4, Jon Danniken wrote:
On 06/27/2013 04:25 AM, Pete Keillor wrote:

The cruise on my 2004 Suburban works above 25 mph. And you're right,

it's handy. Drives the speed demons nuts when I go the speed limit

through the subdivision.

I drive 15 in my neighborhood, which is posted 25; I prefer a certain

quality of life, and over time I've found most of my neighbors do, too.

As to the 35MPH lower limit to most cruise controls, I have that on my

vehicle as well. My assumption is that it is designed to force people

(who are, in large, idiots) to pay attention when driving around town,

where there are obstacles which do not exist on the open road.

Jon

It's also possible that the 35MPH lower limit is because at lower speeds, we tend to be closer to other cars (or pedestrians), and should the system fail in a "full speed ahead" mode, there'd be little time to react before damage was done.