Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lathe Tailstock help (advice) needed

Karl Townsend wrote:

Ivan Vegvary

I have a similar vintage leblond. The bore for the quil on mine is
slit on the back side with a bolt to tighten the quill. You can lock
it in place if needed or adjust the drag. My 10EE has same idea.

I take it you don't have this feature. Can you easily add it?

Of course you could bore it out, add a bushing and then bore again. I
think you could put a boring bar in the spindle, the tailstock in
front of the carriage and push the entire tailstock with it tightened
to just slide.

That would be the plan. You could bore it and use a brass shim
rolled into a tube.

Jon