Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lathe Tailstock help (advice) needed

On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 23:32:42 -0700 (PDT), Ivan Vegvary
wrote:

Le Blonde 13" lathe approx. 1947 vintage.

The tailstock quill in this lathe is loose. I've been living with it for 15 years and now finally want to correct it or move on to a better lathe.

Even when fully clamped and only 2" extended you can observe the quill jiggling within the tailstock when trying to enlarge (drilling) a hole from 15/32 to 31/64 in brass.

The seller alerted me to this and told me the lathe was probably used for tapping purposes allowing the quill to slide back and forth while disconnected. Don't quite understand the procedure, but doesn't matter at this point.

My question: Is there an inexpensive fix for this, or should I simply sell the lathe with the proper disclosures.

Only other gripe is the 500 maximum rpm along with a little vibration in some of the headstock gear settings.

Any advice would be appreciated. I would probably be happier with a smaller lathe with higher speeds.

Ivan Vegvary

the easy way is Loctite Fixmaster. Depends on where the wear is. If
its the quill..Fixmaster might do you a good job..if its the
tailstock...sleeving might be better.

http://www.henkelna.com/us/content_d...pair_final.pdf

If you know anyone in a plating shop...you might have good luck having
the quill copper plated thick..and then hard chromed.

Gunner

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of