nestork nestork is offline
Senior Member

I second Oren's recommendation to use a braided stainless steel supply hose, which are pretty much widely considered the fastest, easiest and most reliable way to make a connection between your water shut off valve and either a faucet or (as correctly pointed out) a toilet FILL valve.

Several points:

1. The thread is different thread between toilet fill valve and a faucet, and so your local home center will have these braided supplies in two styles; one will say "Faucet" and the other will say "Closet". "Closet" is supposed to mean "Water closet", which is gentile plumber-ese for toilet. So, if you're wanting to connect a toilet, buy one that says "Closet" on the little tag.

2. Buy a braided flex a lot longer than you need, and form it into a loop between the toilet fill valve and the angle stop.

3. Beware Home Depot. They used to sell (and might still sell) these braided supply tubes made with silver coloured braided plastic instead of braided stainless steel wire. They look the same if you're wearing dark sunglasses in a dimly lit room, but the kicker is the braided plastic tube cost the same as the braided stainless steel wire. For my money, it's gotta be real stainless steel wire, not plastic that looks kind alike like stainless steel wire.

4. I have 21 toilets in my building, and all of them are connected to their respective shut off valves with these kinds of supply tubes. I like to connect the end to the fill valve first, form the loop and then connect to the 3/8 inch compression nut to the shut off valve. Hold the supply tube steady so that it doesn't twist while tightening that compression nut on the shut off valve.

Last edited by nestork : June 25th 13 at 06:04 AM