Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Wiss Don Wiss is offline

Default neighbor's fence partially on my property

On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 23:05:06 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Mon, 24 Jun 2013, Ashton Crusher wrote:
I've never heard of that "ordinance" . If I'm building a fence I'm
certainly not going to put the good side for my neighbor to enjoy
while I look at the bad side. But I'm out in the west.

Good. Stay there; we don't want to look at a crappy fence. Laws like
that exist in many communities.

There is no ordinance in NYC about which way a fence faces. Etiquette is
you face the good side out. For my side fences, that are being constructed
now, one side neighbor insisted I face the good side to them. I was
planning to anyway. I learned fence facing etiquette when I was six years
old. It happens that my side fences have two good sides. And while they
have the front, my side is actually more interesting.

One difference is I have to live with my side neighbor. I would say that
practically no one on my block has any idea who their back side neighbor
is. All properties are fenced in.

I can't imagine my back side neighbor staying there for long. Despite their
three year couple million gut renovation. She is Japanese. She is into
privacy. I bet they are the only ones in the neighborhood with electric
blackout shades on every window. At night every window is black. It looks
like they are not at home. With the doggy chalet stuck on the back of the
house she doesn't have to walk the two little yappy dogs. I have no idea if
she ever even leaves the house.