Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hurco Table Enclosure

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
On 6/24/2013 18:33, Bob La Londe wrote:
I am going to need an enclosure for the table on this mill. I could
build a fairly low wall enclosure that would help "some," but I don't
think it would have the level of containment that I would like.
Alternatively suppose I could build an enclosure that encompasses the
entire front of the mill and rest on the floor. Something with partially
sealed shower doors that I step inside of to setup a job.

Neither really fits my needs. One that set inside the table would
substantially limit my choice of vises, as well as my Y axis travel to
some degree. One that was short enough to have limited affect on Y would
not fully contain chips or coolant when doing fast machining or using a
face mill.

One that sets on the floor and encompasses the entire front of the
machine would be much more expensive, although probably simpler to
build. I would have to add a floor sump of some kind though, and I am
not really crazy about cutting a sink sized hole in the monolithic slab.
It would also take up a lot more floor space.

The one design I thought of that might work is one that extends outward
to the front of the table about 8-12" and back from the table an inch.
This would give me nearly full use of Y and not limit my choice of
vises. I could also extend the front and side panels up more than 2 feet
for plenty of chip and coolant containment. My son even suggest a fold
up two or three section rear panel so I could raise it if I have to
lower the knee, and fold it down when I raise the knee.

My problem with the last solution is that I don't see it being rigid
enough and solidly mounted enough to hold up and not shake during some
types of machining without screwing it to the table. That is, drilling
and tapping the front and back lip of the table to solidly and
physically attach the enclosure to the table. I had considered laying
the base of the enclosure over the lip and making a clamp to bolt it to
the table without drilling and tapping, but the lip is the same height
as the surface of the table. This would again limit my choice of vises.

If I hadn't been chastised by "real" machinists
about it I wouldn't
hesitate to drill and tap the table to facilitate my solution.
Especially since there is already a cast iron parts and tool tray
attached to one end of the table by the same method. One that looks to
have been installed or atleast sold originally by Hurco as it has the
same aged Hurco blue hard paint. However, I have been chastised to
"NEVER EVER EVER CUT OR DRILL THE TABLE EVEN BY ACCIDENT," by real
machinists.

Real Machinist - "someone who can't poke a hole in the machine because
it's not theirs."

"I can do whatever the hell I want to it. It's still mine." Richard
Rawlings, Gas Monkey Garage.

It's your machine. Do what you want, but try not to weaken the structural
integrity of the machine.

That's kind of where I am headed. I think 5 1/4-20 socket heads with an
extra thick fender washer for load spreading in the front and back faces of
the table would give me good stability and a solid enough mount it would
only shake from the most violent spiral drilling MOPs. Then closed rivet
the side fences to the front and back sections. The table lip is pretty
thick. If I plan well I don't think I even need to drill all the way
through. Just use a bottoming tap to make sure I have enough good threads
to do the job, and slap a dab of the red stuff on them once its all been
fitted properly.

--
Steve Walker
(remove brain when replying)