Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Wiring for multiple control [4 switches control one set of lights]light switch !!!

On 6/24/2013 2:05 PM, khc wrote:

I'm confused. You describe a room with two doors and then you refer
to a "middle door."

OK, not, perhaps as clear as could have been--one door is at one end of
the room and the other is towards the middle of the room. It (the 2nd
door) is the one I was referring to but "middle" was referring to
location in general position along length of room rather than being in
middle of a group of doors.

I think that I understand that your room has two groups of lights.
Some of these lights are wired together all on one circuit and so turn
on and off together. The remainder of the lights are wired together
all on a second circuit and so turn on and off together. The two
groups of lights are completely independent of each other.

Further, the room has two doors and four light switches. Each door
has two light switches. A switch at each of the two doors works
together with a switch at the other door to control one of the groups
of lights. The other two switches (one at each door) work together to
control the second group of lights.

Thus, one of the switches at each of the doors turns one of the groups
of lights on and off. The remaining switch at each of the doors turns
the other group of lights on and off. It is possible to turn a group
of lights on at one door and off at the other door.

Yes

Does your wife come in (and turn lights on) at one door then go out
(and turn lights off) at the other door?

Will you please say more about the "in between" state of the light
switches where you have to go to the "other light plate" make things
work?

On occasion she manages to flip one of the switches into a no-man's land
of be in between -- it's broken the contact so the light went out but
didn't actually go completely to the other position. Hence, it's open
between both sets of contacts. In that case, and if it's the one at the
other location from where one is, then ya' gotsta' go and flip that one
to one position or the other...some switches are difficult to get to
stay in a position like that, some less difficult.