Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Domino question

On Monday, June 24, 2013 10:54:52 AM UTC-7, Gramp's shop wrote:
I'm using 8/4 reclaimed cherry for my new bench. Will dominos be of sufficient strength for the M/T joints connecting the rails and stringers to the legs? For the rails, it will be easy to add bolts and the dominos would just serve as alignment guides. Not quite so easy for the stringers as the legs will be 5+ inches wide.

Larry

A floating tennon is likely 95% as strong as a typical tennon. Only issue would be on pull-out if you didn't pin both sides and I don't think a table has much\any pull-out tension at all.