Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default Opinons on AC brands Rheem, Trane, Westinghouse

On 06/23/13 11:54 pm, Tony Hwang wrote:

Any opinions on these brands of Home AC systems?

Rheem, Trane, Westinghouse?

First estimate I got was for a Rheem system. He also gave me a

comparison $$$ on a Westinghouse. Rheem 5 ton (15.5 seer) was $6,600

and the Westinghouse (16 seer) $5,800.

Rheem warranty is 10 years parts, 2 years labor. Is that the industry

standard?

I would think long and hard about a simple 3 speed relay controlled
motor vs an electronically controlled variable speed motor. Consider
the cost to purchase AND repair after a power surge vs how much energy
it supposedly will save you.

If the OP has any licensed amateur radio operators in his immediate
vicinity, he would be advised to inquire about the Radio Frequency
Interference characteristics of any variable-speed units he considers:
some of them are truly horrible in that regard and -- by FCC rules --
they are *not allowed* to interfere with licensed services; however,
many manufacturers would rather save a few dollars on every unit and
*hope* they can fix the ones that cause trouble without spending too
much on those specific ones.

Perce

Hmmm,
I am a HAM for half a century. My furnace has ECM blower motor(a DC
motor) I took care of RFI concern my self with a kit. Brand of the unit
is Carrier. Motor itself seldom fails, the control module does. I have
10 yr. P&L coverage but I can fix the module most likely if it fails.
Another DC motor is not VS but it has speed taps like older PSC motors.

It's my understanding that the manufacturers often have an
interference-suppression kit that they will send free of charge, but the
consumer will still have to pay somebody to install that kit if s/he is
not willing or able to do it him/herself.

Perce