Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default Opinons on AC brands Rheem, Trane, Westinghouse

gregz wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
On 06/22/13 05:07 pm, wrote:

Any opinions on these brands of Home AC systems?

Rheem, Trane, Westinghouse?

First estimate I got was for a Rheem system. He also gave me a

comparison $$$ on a Westinghouse. Rheem 5 ton (15.5 seer) was $6,600

and the Westinghouse (16 seer) $5,800.

Rheem warranty is 10 years parts, 2 years labor. Is that the industry

standard?

I would think long and hard about a simple 3 speed relay controlled
motor vs an electronically controlled variable speed motor. Consider
the cost to purchase AND repair after a power surge vs how much energy
it supposedly will save you.

If the OP has any licensed amateur radio operators in his immediate
vicinity, he would be advised to inquire about the Radio Frequency
Interference characteristics of any variable-speed units he considers:
some of them are truly horrible in that regard and -- by FCC rules --
they are *not allowed* to interfere with licensed services; however,
many manufacturers would rather save a few dollars on every unit and
*hope* they can fix the ones that cause trouble without spending too
much on those specific ones.

Perce

The CB era was a fun time for me with regard to RFI. I have a First Class
commercial FCC license and I tracked down all sorts of those critters and kilt them. ^_^

TDD

I have not done anything since last summer. Have not been using the cb.
Last summer found terrible noise from fan system. I did put some filtering
in, but it's still high. Then there is the led light supplies, then there
is that very noisy sears drill charger. That was tricky to find, plugged
but no battery. Always something. I was walking up and down street finding
that charger. It was radiating at wavelength intervals. Not that strong at
the charger.

Greg

Fan noise sounds like a train, tornado. Only starts noise at some rpm, then
you can hear the noise increasing pitch.

Greg