Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anyone into 3D printing?

In article ,
Theo Markettos writes:
The other big question: how do you plan to design things to print? Are you
going to download other people's designs? How happy are you with designing
things in 3D CAD (either pointy-clicky or writing code)? It would be very
handy to be able to 'photocopy' 3D objects (broken something? No problem,
just photocopy a replacement) but I don't know of an easy way to do that.

My dentist does that when I break a tooth. (CEREC)
However, the software is probably very expensive, and the "printer"
is a tiny milling machine which makes up a new piece by milling a
small block of ceramic for 20 minutes while you go back into the
waiting room (or in my case, stand there and watch it being milled).

I don't mean AutoCAD/ProE/etc (unless you really must) but it takes a
while to go from 'I want something this shaped' to drawing it and getting
it right in real life.

--
Andrew Gabriel