Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Garden lighting trips RCD

On 23/06/2013 20:01, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Gefreiter Krueger
scribeth thus
On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 18:54:32 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

In article , Gefreiter Krueger
scribeth thus
On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 15:19:47 +0100, Richard Russell
wrote:

We have an extensive, professionally installed, garden lighting system
which has recently started tripping its dedicated RCD. I have
eliminated all the bulbs, luminaires and accessible cables which,
sadly, means the problem is almost certainly in one of the many
'waterproof' underground connection boxes. How on earth does one
trace a fault like this? Dig up the entire garden?

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/

Change it to a good old fuse. They weren't so fussy. RCDs are a pain in the
arse.

Theres speaks someone who has never been accidentally connected across
the mains..

I have an I can tall you its ****ing painful squared!..

If I should swear(

If you're connected across the mains, the RCD won't trip. You need an earth for
that. Anyway it's only painful for a short period till you let go or fall off
the ladder.

In fact it was an electric drill, metal cased in the one hand, to an
earthed ladder and it was inside reaching out thru a window to move it a
bit sideways as it was in the way of where I was about to drill and I
can tell you if I could have fallen over I would have done anything to
"disconnect" but as your totally paralysed you cant move a bloody
thing!.

Duff house wiring that was due to and only leakage too not directly
connected but sufficient!...

Parrot boy alert... please do not feed the trolls.

--
Cheers,

John.