Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller[_4_] Doug Miller[_4_] is offline

Default Wiring for multiple control [4 switches control one set of lights] light switch !!!

Robert Macy wrote in
:

I don't know why it's so difficult to understand WHY I'd like
the switches to be at least once in their lives setting ALL in
the proper position. You evidently don't have a house with a lot
of lighting controls and multiple switch plates. I have agreed
in previous posts that *if* this were a single light switch
plate at four different locations to control an overhead light;
no biggie. I don't care WHAT position they're in, because THAT
light switch obviously controls THAT light, done. But when you
have racks and racks of multi-controller switches running ??
around your bedroom; it would be nice to have the switches at
least be 'settable' to a mnemonic configuration, where OFF is
down, then when turn one on it's obvious which light switch to
turn off to get back to ALL lights off.

And I don't know why it's so difficult for you to understand that:
(1) if one light is controlled by more than two switches, it is IMPOSSIBLE TO DETERMINE
from the position of ONE of the switches, which of the remaining switches turned the light on
or off, and
(2) It doesn't MATTER which of the switches turned it on or off, you can use ANY of the
switches to turn it off or on again.

Else, you're stuck out there in the 30 by 50 ft room trying to
remember exactly which one in the rack of 5 is the one to shut
off! Results, you wake up and have to 'think' about the light
switches.

Nonsense. No 'thinking' required -- which appears to be a good thing, actually. Flip the first
switch in the rack of 5 -- did that make the light that I want to go out, go out, or did it turn
something else on instead? If it extinguished the light you wanted, fine, you're done.
Otherwise, flip the same switch again to make what you just turned on, go off, then repeat the
process for the next switch.

Don't want that, don't want to have to completely wake
up, rather scan the switches and think, oh that's the one and OFF
it goes - done and can go back to sleep.

So label the switches on each faceplate. That way, you'll at least know which switch
controls which light.

I'm not even going to get into the problem of explaining the
switches to a guest in the house!

So label the switches on each faceplate. That way, your guests will know which switch
controls which light, too.

Or, I could say, "Yeah, feel
free to play with the switches until you get the right one."

In contrast to the plans you have in mind, that would actually work.

guest unfamiliar with the switch setup only has to look at the
rack and notice which one is up to turn off a light.

False.