Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [OT] PDP-11 programmer wanted?

On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 13:42:26 +0100, Bob Minchin wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
John later became our site engineer for the ICL 2960 mainframe.

Back in the day, the campus computing power was an ICL 4130 with a PDP11
bolted on the front running interactive BASIC to 8 (or was it 10)
Teletypes scattered across the campus.
The system was known as KOS - (Kent Online System) and I think a clone
of it was also run at Reading too.

Bob

According to Google, York also ran KOS

They did. And Lancaster, Aberystwyth, and a couple of others.

It was however developed at Kent by Peter Brown, Heather Brown, Steve
Binns and Brian Spratt. I started using it in January 1971, but by June I
had stolen the source code. I got the hardware specs from ICL over the
summer and hacked rather a lot of it the following year...

The first hack was setting a bit in the multiplexer status word for a
terminal - which logged it out, allowing someone else to use it!