Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Wiring for multiple control [4 switches control one set of lights]light switch !!!

On 6/21/2013 12:35 PM, Robert Macy wrote:

I don't know why it's so difficult to understand WHY I'd like the
switches to be at least once in their lives setting ALL in the proper
position. ...
... But when you have racks and racks of multi-controller
switches running ?? around your bedroom; it would be nice to have the
switches at least be 'settable' to a mnemonic configuration, where OFF
is down, then when turn one on it's obvious which light switch to turn
off to get back to ALL lights off....

But, as soon as one of these is switched from another location somewhere
else it screws it up anyway, so there's really no point--they'll be at
odd positions in the other panel(s), anyway.

Labels would seem to be the think if you really have so many you can't
recall which one is what...

The most there is in this house is one set of four at the outside door
but they're installed in a logical order from top to
bottom--yard,porch,entry,dining. Consequently it's no issue to know
which to hit; even visitors figure it out pretty quickly w/o formal
training.

It would seem like such an arrangement should be possible to at least
ameliorate the problem if not totally solve it. OTOH, I'd probably just
simplify and eliminate the switches if were so annoying as it sounds as
if were...