Posted to alt.home.repair
metspitzer metspitzer is offline

Default Wiring for multiple control [4 switches control one set of lights] light switch !!!

On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 14:27:09 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote:

On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 18:56:00 -0700 (PDT), Robert Macy
wrote:

Ok Ok I know this is simple but it's irritating me beyond belief.

Leviton light switches.

In a dual box next to an outside door there are two light switches.
One is the single control for a porch light, the other is a one of
four switches that turn on/off the hall way lights.

One other suggestion that may help you if you want to change the
location of the switches in the box would be to use stranded wire as a
jumper wire. If the wire connected to the switch goes to a wirenut,
replace that short wire with stranded wire.

To be able to splice stranded wire to solid wire, a little trick is to
twist all the solid wire together first. Then, when you add the
stranded piece, make sure the stranded wire is sticking up just a
little farther than the solid, so the wirenut grabs the strands of
copper just before it bites into the solid.

You also need a special type switch so that the stranded wire goes
behind a pressure plate instead of trying to twist it around a screw.

They also sell a stranded wire in green that comes with a screw on one
end and a terminal lug on the other. If there is a screw hole in the
box you can just screw the bonding wire directly to the box and attach
the switch screw directly to the green. (You need to make sure the
bundle of bare wires is bonded to the box)

The green bonding wire is probably not going to work for you. I am
used to working at hospitals where the boxes are metal. Your house
will probably not have metal boxes.

Take pictures of what you have before you change anything. Mark
everything. A gang of 4 switches is going to be pretty confusing
unless you know where every cable in the box goes.