Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [OT] PDP-11 programmer wanted?

On 21/06/13 11:19, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 21/06/13 10:16, Tim Streater wrote:
Hmmm, what a content-free site. He whinges about a lot of stuff I

never use, so it's just a big yawn.

+1.
He went looking for Pascal and found PEEK POKE and BASIC
Big deal.

It reminds me of that plaintive Edgar Broughton song 'what is a woman
for?'

A question I shall probably take unanswered to my grave.

What in fact is PHP for? Does it actually make the job of
constructing YOUR website easier, or harder?

Well oddly enough I only make minimal use of it on one website.

In which case there is probably a better language for you. I'd guess at
Python.

"While offering choice in coding methodology, the Python philosophy
rejects exuberant syntax, such as in Perl, in favor of a sparser,
less-cluttered grammar. As Alex Martelli put it: "To describe something
as clever is not considered a compliment in the Python culture."[28]
Python's philosophy rejects the Perl "there is more than one way to do
it" approach to language design in favor of "there should be one€”and
preferably only one€”obvious way to do it".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Python_...ng_language%29

I think if I wanted to actually write complex scripts and do maths, Id
look at python.

I did briefly look at it when looking for a language to build websites
with, but settled on PHP because it was very widely understood and
recognised, and I have been dealing with weird programming tools all my
life :-)

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.