Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sony part info?

I don't know what you use for a browser and a search engine, but I think you might want to get back to Google. In ten seconds, literally :

http://www.encompassparts.com/item/1..._Cxp84124-025q

Which gives us the semi-generic Sony number :

http://www.alldatasheet.com/datashee.../CXP84124.html

Which shows it is an eight bit microprocessor in something like a QFP or whatever package. Don't bother trying to get the datasheet from that site, they won't give it up. The only way you get it from them is IF in the Google results the actual URL ends in "PDF". If your search engine or browser does not show the actual URL of the results with extension at the bottom of the description, get rid of the piece of ****. You NEED this in this business. I still exclusively use Google and IE8 for business. If it ends in HTML, you will only get a datasheet from a manufacturer's or vendor's site usually..

This means you will have to probably find new old stock. And BTW, are the symptoms really whacky or something ? If the unit works but it just doesn't load right it sounds like either a mechanical problem or the motor driver IC. Microprocessors very rarely go bad.

What's more, Sony does not want you to fix this. They will, for $1.18 for the part and $179.95 labor, which will sell a new CD player which either they built, or contains some components from their components division.

Never trust them. In fact I have proven them wrong so many times I stopped even calling them 20 years ago.