Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Phase converter

I haven't built a phase converter sence Fitch was a regular here. Now
I'm building one for "The Kid". He has his eye on a Haas VF2 with a 20
hp. spindle.

So, we've found a 5 hp. and a 20 hp. idler motors. The plan is to
start a 5, delay a few seconds then start a 20. I've done this with a
10 and a 15 for years, works great. I plan to pretty much copy the
Fitch designed unit but with different motors and circuit breakers
instead of fuses.

My questions
1. what size circuit breaker for a 220 VAC 3phase 5 hp motor

2. what size circuit breaker for a 220 VAC 3phase 20 hp motor
2b. what wire size for above motor

3. How much start caps for the 5 hp motor?

4. about how much run caps for the 25 hp system? I know we'll need to
tune it. Fitch got my other unit within 10 volts. I had a chance to
check it the other day, max volts was 252 L2-L3, lowest was 244 L1-L2,
don't remember the L1-L3 but it was in between. Now, I do wish I
remembered how he did it.

Karl