Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] russellseaton1@yahoo.com is offline

Default Plane Technique

There is also the strong possibility you are planning the ends of the board much more than the center. If you plane from the middle to the end, 50% of the board is touched by the plane iron. Do the same going the other direction and the whole board is touched by the plane iron once. But then you start planning at the 1/4 and 3/4 positions. And plane to the end of the board. Now the two quarter ends of the board have been planed twice. But the center 50% has only been planed once. When you plane the edges twice as much as the center, the edges will get thinner than the center. Think about how often you are planing every part of the board. And try to keep the number of plane strokes about the same on all parts of the board. If the plane touches the edges three times, make sure the plane touches the center of the board three times.

On Monday, June 3, 2013 9:45:18 AM UTC-5, Puckdropper wrote:
When attempting to plane a board to a consistent thickness, the end 6" or

so of the board tends to get cut down fastest. I'm sure it's a technique

issue, but what am I doing to cause this? Too much pressure on the front

of the plane?

Puckdropper

--

Make it to fit, don't make it fit.