Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [OT] PDP-11 programmer wanted?

On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 14:39:05 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

On 20/06/2013 10:47, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:

On 2013-06-20, Gordon Henderson wrote:

And while I do enjoy a bit of "retro" computing, I have no
yearning whatsoever to go back and write another BCPL program.

That's how I feel about the PDP-11 programming job that started
this thread.

Mind you, I was getting enquiries for MUMPS contracts until quite
recently. (I installed the Linux MUMPS port recently, out of idle
curiousity, and now wonder why I liked it...)

BTW, I emailed the guy to (politely) express my incredulity, but I
haven't had an answer.

I enjoyed my time using the VME/B SCL language. Would be very happy
to write some more things in it! Limited in some ways but that made
the challenges interesting. Plus a few bits and pieces in Message
Text Modules... And the odd extra functionality crafted in Cobol.
:-)

I never got to use SCL because we had VME/K (one of the few...). But
we dumped VME/K in favour of a third party operating system, after
three years.

Ever tried REXX? IBM's rough equivalent. I use it a lot.

Never really liked it. These days I use PHP and JavaScript. It's far
easier with those - no types, really, and some amount of string
handling.

Never liked weakly typed language myself... ;-)

BCPL was untyped!