Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default [OT] PDP-11 programmer wanted?

On 20/06/2013 12:09, Bob Eager wrote:

I started with BASIC. Lost count of the number of different assemblers.

I remember having a slightly strange conversation with with an IBM type
at a recruitment exhibition once many years ago... they had a big sign
up saying Assembler programmers wanted. So I thought I would find out a
bit more, gave them a CV to look at, and after a few minutes perusal,
she said "but I can't see any assembler experience here?". So I directed
her at the section titled "Low level languages" and a moderately long
list of processor architectures. Realisation slowly dawned that to IBM
people "Assembler" was an IBM specific technology, and is apparently the
only low level language that exists - she had absolutely no concept that
assembler was a generic term, or that the concepts of machine languages
were similar across platforms or even it seems, that "other" computers
even had machine languages. ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.