Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [OT] PDP-11 programmer wanted?

On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 00:51:34 +0100, bm wrote:

"Theo Markettos" wrote in message
John Rumm wrote:
On 19/06/2013 19:51, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 16:19:40 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

The Commodore Amiga had an operating system (AmigaDOS) originally
written in BCPL...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIPOS

In the early days there were still vestiges of the BCPL ancestry in
some of the type definitions used when talking to AmigaDOS (the bit of
the system of tripos extraction). Most development being either C or
68K assembler in those days, there were wrapper libraries to tidy up
the interfacing. They rewrote it in C after the first release though.

Would now be the time to introduce:
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/mr/bcpl4raspi.pdf

For 10 year olds?
WOW.

I wouldn't trust quite a few students with BCPL. I wouldn't even trust
them with C, and that's a good deal safer!