Posted to uk.d-i-y
Windmill[_3_] Windmill[_3_] is offline

Default [OT] PDP-11 programmer wanted?

Huge writes:

On 2013-06-18, Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 22:55:52 +0100, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:

(D.M.Chapman) wrote:

Fancy a job? :-)

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcfo...827-Greetings-

from-GE-Canada

Hmm, the nuclear industy's still using those - does that give me a warm
feeling all over or - NO, Torness just went bang, my mistake.

Posted in Sunny Edinburgh. Actually, that's not the Sun...

They were pretty reliable. The University of Edinburgh used them as node
processors all over their network. And RJE stations. And frone end
processors for their mainframes.

AFAIK, Reuters are still running PDP-11 code all over their network, but
these days under an emulator.

They don't seem to believe in cutting edge technology (wonder why?). In
Vancouver about 1987 a Reuters PDP8-S (a serial CPU, the ultimate in
RISC) shared the air-conditioned room containing our DEC10 mainframes.
Apparently used by top management who I think had some kind of printer
upstairs in the rarefied heights of the building.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ O n e t e l . c o m