Alan Sadler

Default 240volt vs. 120volt

As I understand it, your single pole (120v) 20 amp breaker trips under
a heavy load, more than 2400watts. By rewiring to 220 (or 240) volt,
you install a 2-pole breaker, probably 20amps PER leg. That kinda
makes you supply equivalent to 40 amps (~4800 watts) . Supplying the
saw with as much as double the current, certianly would make the
breaker trip less.

loadOn Sun, 13 Jun 2004 11:49:07 -0600, in rec.woodworking you wrote:

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 00:36:05 GMT, Brandt in western Canada
wrote:

I have a 1 HP-110V Crapsman TS, whenever I saw hardwood lumbers the circuit
breaker trips. I also encountered the tripping problems with my 1-1/2HP-110V
compressor whenever the compressor loading. I rewired both machines to 220V and
the problems gone forever.

I learn these tips from helpful posters here. By rewiring it to 220V you really
have nothing to lose.

Does changing the voltage capability on my TS allow me to work the saw
harder or does it simply help prevent overheating and burnout and a few
breaker runs?

I have already blown out a capacitor on the motor, ugh. (120volt setting)