Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ralph E Lindberg Ralph E Lindberg is offline

Default Mystery wood

In article ,
"G. Ross" wrote:

G. Ross wrote:
I got three sections of a tree from my BIL who got it from someone
else. The original cutter told him it was "either mulberry or Bois
d'arc". There were no leaves attached and the bark was all grunged up
with vines.

How to tell the difference? It is orange/yellow wood. It seems like
I've heard that mulberry is associated with an unpleasant smell when
being turned. There is no smell on this.

Any pointers?

There was no yellow color in the water with shavings in it overnight,
so I am calling it mulberry. It is wet, but it dulls my tools faster
than most woods. And no, I am not in the market for a carbide tool.

Certainly -not- Bois (Osage)

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv