Edwin Pawlowski

Default Deck disasater - how to repair concrete posts?

"Andy" wrote in message

I am attempting to get the original company that drilled and set the posts
to fix the problem, but what they are proposing doesn't sound like a
solution to me. They want to put a layer of hydraulic cement around the

tops
of the post to prevent further decay.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what could be done to salvage

the
project?

Their idea can work. It may feel crumbly on top, but you still have a 4'
deep solid mass. Get more details as to exactly what they will do. I would
think they'd want to dig down at least a few inches and pour a ring at least
a few inches wider than the existing piers. See if you can get some
guarantee against frost heaves due to the original improper installation.

You may also want to post this on alt.home.repair for more information.
Ed