Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Clean water in Africa

Sounds like the neighbors recognized her potential, and gave her a chance at success. They are to be congratulated, also. Of course, your daughter has the talent and the potential.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
wrote in message ...
On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 13:11:11 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 6/18/2013 12:12 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 22:54:23 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 6/17/2013 9:08 PM,
wrote:
On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 19:15:47 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 6/17/2013 3:34 PM,
wrote:
On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 21:22:42 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 6/16/2013 5:41 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 16:00:07 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

I wonder how far $100 million would go helping rural African medical
clinics keeping "The Children" alive and preventing them from going
blind by providing proper nutrition for the little tykes? Gosh, I
imagine there are a lot of things $100 million could help fix like the
storm damage done to the various communities around the U.S. o_O

TDD

You could feed a million Africans for a few months, but that would
spoil the First Family Vacation.

OTOH, I've read that food aid is spoiling in warehouses in some
countries where the corrupt government is not allowing distribution or
is selling it on the black market.

It's a real shame when folks try to help the unfortunate but the despots
and warlords who have seized control of those impoverished countries
take all the relief supplies for themselves. It's one of those
situations where your political beliefs may tell you not to interfere
with the government of other countries but your conscience
tells you to kick somebody's ass for what they're doing to helpless
people, especially children. o_O

TDD
Another problem with food aid is when cheap or free food is brought in
from outside it kills the market for locally grown food when there IS
a good crop - so the small farmer gets nothing for his cash crops and
cannot afford to buy anything from anyone else.

When the small farmer can't get anything for his rice because the
market has been flooded with free USAID rice shipped in from
where-ever, he soon cannot afford to grow rice any more, so now the
food shortage is even worse.

Food aid only when necessary, and help and education to allow the
locals to grow and produce their own food, or to earn the money to buy
food, is MUCH more effective.

Transportation is also a problem. Both for locally produced food and
for foof aid. The food grows after the rainy season - and the roads
are washed out by the rains to the point you cannot get trucks through
to pick up the crops to move them to market. Then the food aid comes
in, and the locals are out of food - the neew crop has not grown yet -
and the roads are impassible to deliver the food aid to where it is
needed..

It's a WHOLE LOT more complex than most who only see it from this side
of the pond (wherever that may be) can even begin to imagine.
Yes, there are societal and political reasons - but it goes a lot
deeper than that.

African development is a very DIFFICULT subject. Much moreso than even
south American, central American, or Asian development - all of which
have their own issues.

You need to see the situation from within to even BEGIN to understand
it.

THE BELGIAN CORPORAL
By Neal Knox

In the summer of 1955, I was a young Texas
National Guard sergeant on active duty at Fort Sill,
Oklahoma. A corporal in my squad was aBelgian-
American named Charles DeNaer. An old man as
far as most of us were concerned, being well over
thirty, Charley commanded a certain amount of our
respect, for not only was he older than the rest of
us, he had lived in Belgium when the Germans rolled
across the low countries by-passing the Maginot Line
on their way into France. He had seen war.

One soft Oklahoma afternoon, sitting on a bunk in
the half-light of an old wooden barracks, he told
me his story.

In Charley's little town in Belgium, there lived an
old man, a gunsmith. The old man was friendly
with the kids and welcomed them to his shop. He
had once been an armorer to the king of Belgium,
according to Charley. He told us of the wonderful
guns the old man had crafted, using only hand
tools.

There were double shotguns and fine rifles with
beautiful hardwood stocks and gorgeous engraving
and inlay work. Charley liked the old man and
enjoyed looking at the guns. He often did chores
around the shop.

One day the gunsmith sent for Charley. Arriving
at the shop, Charley found the old man carefully
oiling and wrapping guns in oilcloth and paper.
Charley asked what he was doing. The old smith
gestured to a piece of paper on the workbench
and said that an order had come to him to register
all of his guns.

He was to list every gun with a description on a
piece of paper and then to send the paper to the
government. The old man had no intention of
complying with the registration law and had
summoned Charley to help him bury the guns
at a railroad crossing. Charley asked why he
didn't simply comply with the order and keep
the guns. The old man, with tears in his eyes,
replied to the boy, "If I register them, they will
be taken away. "

A year or two later, the blitzkrieg rolled across
the Low Countries. One day not long after, the
war arrived in Charley's town. A squad of German
SS troops banged on the door of a house that
Charley knew well. The family had twin sons
about Charley's age. The twins were his best
friends. The officer displayed a paper describing
a Luger pistol, a relic of the Great War, and
ordered the father to produce it. That old gun
had been lost, stolen, or misplaced sometime
after it had been registered, the father explained.
He did not know where it was.

The officer told the father that he had exactly
fifteen minutes to produce the weapon. The
family turned their home upside down. No
pistol. They returned to the SS officer empty-
handed.

The officer gave an order and soldiers herded
the family outside while other troops called the
entire town out into the square. There on the
town square the SS machine-gunned the entire
family -- father, mother, Charley's two friends,
their older brother and a baby sister.

I will never forget the moment. We were sitting
on the bunk on a Saturday afternoon and Charley
was crying, huge tears rolling down his cheeks,
making silver dollar size splotches on the dusty
barracks floor. That was my conversion from a
casual gun owner to one who was determined to
prevent such a thing from ever happening in
America.

Later that summer, when I had returned home I
went to the president of the West Texas Sportsman's
Club in Abilene and told him I wanted to be on the
legislative committee. He replied that we didn't have
a legislative committee, but that I was now the
chairman.

I, who had never given a thought to gun laws,
have been eyeball deep in the "gun control"
fight ever since.

As the newly-minted Legislative Committee
Chairman of the West Texas Sportsman's club,
I set myself to some research. I had never before
read the Second Amendment, but now noticed
that The American Rifleman published it in its
masthead. I was delighted to learn that the
Constitution prohibited laws like Belgium's.
There was no battle to fight, I thought. We
were covered. I have since learned that the
words about a militia and the right of the people
to keep and bear, while important, mean as much
to a determined enemy as the Maginot line did to
Hitler.

Rather than depend on the Second Amendment
to protect our gun rights, I've learned that we must
protect the Second Amendment and the precious
rights it recognizes.

- ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------
Permission to reprint or post this article in its
entirety is hereby granted provided this credit is
included. Text is available at
www.FirearmsCoalition.org. To receive The
Firearms Coalition's bi-monthly newsletter, The
Knox Hard Corps Report, write to PO Box
3313, Manassas, VA 20108.

So it is the White Mans fault after all. It's a conspiracy to keep The
Africans enslaved. I suppose Whitey is afraid of a strong Sub-Saharan
Africa so all the charity and religious relief agencies are being used
to keep The Black Man down. They're not there to help even though they
truly believe they're doing God's work. They're a tool of the evil
multinational corporations which wish to steal Sub-Saharan Africa from
the people who own it. Darn, we must let all the church groups know the
truth so they can stop what they're doing. o_O

TDD
That is NOT what I said - and you know it.

Sorry, I was being ironic, no insult meant but I am disgusted with the
rampant stupidity of those thinking they are really helping. There are
some wonderful caring folks who do their best to save people in a bad
situation but often cause trouble out of ignorance of the way things
work and the way people think. In some areas of the world, a person's
prized possession and something they may risk their life to protect is
something as insignificant as a blanket. Insignificant to people in the
wealthy developed countries but a priceless object to our Third World
friend. o_O

TDD

That's the kind of thing my daughter is trying to address and remedy
in the projects she is involved with and the work she is doing in her
Master's degree in International Development.

Your daughter is one of those rare angels. I would guess you're proud of
her. ^_^

TDD

Proud of both of them, actually. My youngest had given up nn school -
didn't know what she wanted to do - or what she would want to study if
she went on to college. She got a summer job after grade 11 at the
neighbour's insurance brokerage, and kept working through grade 12 -
and on for12 years now - has all of her insurance credentials and is
assistant operations manager now - on a good path towards partnership
in the future if she wants to.
I see her just about every morning as I look after all the IT stuff
at the office where she works.