Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default Suburban Water Service: Anybody Heard Of Failure?

On 06/18/13 10:59 am, I wrote:

We've been getting these insurance offers from the local water company
to the effect that the service from the main to our house could fail at
any time and that we should pay a few bucks per month to avoid repair
costs.

My kneejerk is that this is a cash cow for the water company.

This neighborhood was built in the mid fifties. I've never heard of
anybody's service failing.

Is there an average lifetime for this stuff?... Or are there different
constructions/water compositions that make comparison impractical?

A few years back, the poly pipe started leaking right where it came
through the basement wall. Called a plumber, who had to wait while the
municipality sent somebody to turn off the water at the street. Then,
after they had fixed it (replaced a 6ft length or so by copper), they
had to wait for the inspector to check it and turn on the water again.
Total 3-4 hours, cost $500.

Haven't heard of any neighbors with the same problem, so our neighbors'

^^^^^
experience is not a good guide to what may happen with yours.

Correction: "your neighbors'" NOT "our neighbors'"

Perce