Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default Suburban Water Service: Anybody Heard Of Failure?

On 6/18/2013 8:01 AM, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 06/18/13 10:20 am, wrote:

We've been getting these insurance offers from the local water company
to the effect that the service from the main to our house could fail at
any time and that we should pay a few bucks per month to avoid repair
costs.

My kneejerk is that this is a cash cow for the water company.

This neighborhood was built in the mid fifties. I've never heard of
anybody's service failing.

Is there an average lifetime for this stuff?... Or are there different
constructions/water compositions that make comparison impractical?

Put the money in the bank, even at 0 interest rate, you'll be ahead.

Not if he has a repair bill for $500 or more (which is what ours cost a
few years back: see my other message in this thread) the next month.

Actually, even at $500, you'll still probably be ahead, on average.