Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Clean water in Africa

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 00:16:57 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On Jun 18, 3:20*am, wrote:
On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 20:04:48 -0500, The Daring Dufas

wrote:
On 6/16/2013 7:14 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 00:13:55 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On Jun 15, 8:18 pm, Metspitzer wrote:
I have seen lots of pictures of Africa. *It shows entire towns
carrying water on their heads. *The thing that makes me suspicious
about these pictures is that all of the water containers are plastic,
modern plastic. *These have obviously been supplied by some type aid.

Why not send some PVC and a pump?

So what are you "suspicious" about?
Have you never been to a third world country?

The containers are scavenged and second hand. The sort of stuff you
throw away every day. Old oil and fertilizer containers etc.

The problem in these countries is ignorance, corruption, political
unrest and violence. They have no proper governance or economies.

And they are intentionally disrupted by the likes of the USA.

There is no solution apart from occupying and running them.
* *Sounds like a British Colonialist.

Ever lived and worked in Africa, Harry??? Didn't think so. And if you
did you had your head so far up your backside you didn't see anything
going on around you.

Yes, corruption is a large problem Political unrest sprouts from that
- and with it, violence.
Poverty is a bigger problem - some caused by corruption - but much by
circumstances - unreliable rains, famine, etc.

Ignorance can be cured. It's called education. Education can help
alleviate poverty - and also cut down on corruption and unrest.

Occupying and running them has not worked.

Educating them is definitely helping.

I've worked in 2 african countries - my daughter has been actively
working in 3, and is leaving on Wednesday to check on projects in 2
more, where the agency she is working with is actively involved. She
will be in Mali and Mauritania for the next month.

I salute you and your family for trying to help those poor folks in such
a bad situation. The people who really help are few and far between and
that's a real shame. If I ever start to feel sorry for myself, all I
have to do is remember the folks around the world who's
lives are so much harder than my own. I know that if I resided in one
of those Third World countries, I would have been dead long ago. The
nurse called today with news of a new pain medication they want me to
try. I wouldn't have access to such medical care in a third world
country and I would suffer a lot worse fate. o_O

TDD

Even something as common ad diabetes is pretty much a death sentance
for most. It's not a good situation even for "whitey" with diabetes.

Chronic malaria, Bilharzia, and malnutrition means many have 3 strikes
against them before they reach age 5 (if they do). And that's not
including what is in the drinking water.

Sanitation is another serious issue - building proper privies AND
wells in Wast Africa would make a huge difference in human health.
*In East Africa and Central Africa the general higene seamed a lot
better.

On my trip last spring to the Mediteranean, North Africa, and the
Canary Islands I think the worst conditions I ran across were in
Marseille France - worse than Cassablanca - and some parts of
Cassablanca were pretty rough. We saw the "underbelly" of Cassablanca
from a mini-taxi we hired to take us around the city most tourists
don't get to see - parts of the "old city" where even a minibus would
not get through. Very Arab - yet also very African

Heh Heh.
I have travelled extensively in Morocco. It is now a major European
tourist destination. Think Mexico only less violent/more culture.
For the moment anyway
There are far worse places than Casablanca. And better.
Casablanca is pretty untypical.

Just saying, Marseilles is a lot worse.