Posted to alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher[_2_] Ashton Crusher[_2_] is offline

Default Suburban Water Service: Anybody Heard Of Failure?

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 08:45:28 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

We've been getting these insurance offers from the local water company
to the effect that the service from the main to our house could fail at
any time and that we should pay a few bucks per month to avoid repair
costs.

My kneejerk is that this is a cash cow for the water company.

This neighborhood was built in the mid fifties. I've never heard of
anybody's service failing.

Is there an average lifetime for this stuff?... Or are there different
constructions/water compositions that make comparison impractical?

I've had a "service line" failure once in my entire life. It cost me
less then $111 to have it fixed.

What's happening around here is a similar thing but with the sewer
lines - for a few bucks a month you can buy insurance for the run from
your clean out to the property line where the city assumes
responsibility. I've never had to repair a sewer line in my entire
life. I did have a family with kids dig a BF-Hole in the back yard of
one of my rentals and expose the line. Luckily they didn't break it.