Robert Bonomi

Default 240volt vs. 120volt

In article ,
BadgerDog wrote:
Why would the saw run cooler if there is more voltage to the saw?

To first order, won't the saw consume the same amount of power when using
120V or 240V (assuming of course the motor is wired correctly for the
appropriate voltage)?

For a first order approximation, under 'steady-state' conditions, you
_are_ basically correct. Needless to say, considering only 'steady-state'
conditions is not really meaningful for analysing a table-saw.

The differences occur due to a variety of 'lesser' factors, including:
1) parasitic losses that are not directly related to applied voltage,
2) "stiffness" of the power _source_.
3) speed of response to varying load conditions -- when a motor is trying
to play 'catch up' to an increased load, it draws more power than it
does handling that same load at steady-state. The longer it takes to
get back to steady-state, the more 'excess' power consumed.
4) 'non-resistive' (e.g. 'capacitive', and/or 'inductive') components of
the load. (capacitance, inductance, and resistance react in _different_
ways, in parallel vs series circuits -- different from _each_other_, I
mean. e.g. in series, resistance 'adds', but capacitance 'divides')
5) 'power factor' -- pretty much equivalent to #3

That said, in reality I think that saw will consume a
little more power (maybe 5-10% more for a typical installation) in the 240V
configuration than it would in the 120V configuration.

More commonly, it is the other way around, a device is slightly _more_
efficient at the higher voltage. On a _good_ day, it may approach 2%.

However, there are no 'guarantees'. It depends, _entirely_, on the design of
the specific device.

BadgerDog

wrote in message
By doubling the voltage, the current is halved. Therefore the I/R (voltage
drop of the wire, which is a function of the current and resistance in

wire)
is cut in half. (more voltage to the saw).
The saw starts better (the most current is on startup) runs better, cooler

and
should last longer.
Just my $0.02

Frank

Brandt in western Canada wrote:

Does changing the voltage capability on my TS allow me to work the saw
harder or does it simply help prevent overheating and burnout and a few
breaker runs?

I have already blown out a capacitor on the motor, ugh. (120volt

setting)