Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Suburban Water Service: Anybody Heard Of Failure?

On Jun 18, 8:45*am, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
We've been getting these insurance offers from the local water company
to the effect that the service from the main to our house could fail at
any time and that we should pay a few bucks per month to avoid repair
costs.

My kneejerk is that this is a cash cow for the water company.

This neighborhood was built in the mid fifties. I've never heard of
anybody's service failing.

Is there an average lifetime for this stuff?... Or are there different
constructions/water compositions that make comparison impractical?
--
Pete Cresswell

I think you've kind of answered your own question. The
water service could be anything from galvanized pipe,
to copper, or poly depending on the period and the location,
so it can be hard to compare results.
Given it's 60 years old, if it's made of galavanized, it could
be near it's EOL. If it's copper, it's likely fine. Can you see
what it is?

But since no neighbors are having problems, that's a
good sign. I'd do some math. This is like any
extended warranty. Figure out what it would cost if you
had to pay for it, vs how much it's going to cost for sure
with the plan over time.