Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Opinons on AC brands Rheem, Trane, Westinghouse

On Jun 18, 8:27*am, Art Todesco wrote:
On 6/17/2013 11:43 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 18:19:40 -0700, Ashton Crusher
wrote:

Any opinions on these brands of Home AC systems?

Rheem, Trane, Westinghouse?

First estimate I got was for a Rheem system. *He also gave me a
comparison $$$ on a Westinghouse. *Rheem 5 ton (15.5 seer) was $6,600
and the Westinghouse (16 seer) $5,800.

Rheem warranty is 10 years parts, 2 years labor. *Is that the industry
standard?

A good install is more important than the brand name.

Yes very true. *I have and Amana dual stage 16 SEER heat pump/AC. *The
nice thing is that Amana provides a lifetime warranty. *If anything
breaks in the outside unit, they replace the whole unit! *My heating guy
was impressed with that.

I think if you read the warranty, there has to be a lot
more to it than that. For example, if the contactor fails,
they're going to replace the whole unit? Or the fan?
Usually these long warranties apply only to the compressor
and typically don't cover labor, other parts, etc.