Default 240volt vs. 120volt

The power is the same I (current) x E (voltage)
110V x 20 amps = 2200 watts
220V x 10 amps = 2200 watts. Period!
There are other loss that come into play (power factor) but lets leave that stuff
alone!
Also, You are "using" the same current in the motor (at 110 Vs 220) but since the
voltage drop doing to the motor increases (less voltage at the motor), it draws
more current to make up for the power loss (2200 watts)! So it works harder and
the power lines get hotter (that where the loss is going.)

Frank

Charlie Self wrote:

Doug Miller asks:

That said, in reality I think that saw will consume a
little more power (maybe 5-10% more for a typical installation) in the 240V
configuration than it would in the 120V configuration.

Why would you think that?

Baffling. But I know people who swear that switching to 220 doubles a motor's
power, too.

Charlie Self
"The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the
exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun