Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A more flexible drive rod?

On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 17:29:34 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 13:55:52 -0700, Paul Drahn
wrote:

On 6/17/2013 11:43 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
Google flexplate. Some vehicles used one made of rubberized fabric
between the steering wheel and the steering gear box. My big CNC mill
uses one between the X axis motor and the X axis drive screw made of
stacked thin pieces of stainless spring steel sheet.

Depending on your shop capabilities you could make your own.

My 1983 Mercedes 300 SD uses at least one flex plate in the drive line.
Handles lots of torque for lots of years! It's metal, I am sure.

some of the BMWs have these in the drive train- rubber and cord.
It goes between the transmission and the first drive shaft (RWD).

http://www.oembimmerparts.com/produc...FVKf4AodgwIAfA

Apparently they look like this when they're done:

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/h...s/IMG_1156.jpg

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/...sc_95_e320.jpg

I have seen small flex plates used in electronic equipment to allow for
slight misalignment of control shafts. 1/4 inch shaft, etc.

Paul

Most Whirlpool washing machines use that same type of device between
the motor and the gear box. About 1.5" in diameter

http://www.ebay.com/itm/285753-for-W...-/380649737116

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of