Henry E Schaffer

Default 240volt vs. 120volt

In article ,
BadgerDog wrote:
Why would the saw run cooler if there is more voltage to the saw?

Wilson gave a good answer to this.

To first order, won't the saw consume the same amount of power when using
120V or 240V (assuming of course the motor is wired correctly for the
appropriate voltage)?

Yes - and also assuming that the specified voltage really reaches the
motor, i.e. that there is no "sag" due to I^2R drop in the circuit.

That said, in reality I think that saw will consume a
little more power (maybe 5-10% more for a typical installation) in the 240V
configuration than it would in the 120V configuration.

What is the basis for this? Versus the reality that the voltage "sag"
will always be more for the 120V setup (assuming the same wire in the
circuit) and so the motor windings will draw more current leading to
more heating and so more power consumption.
--
--henry schaffer
hes _AT_ ncsu _DOT_ edu