Wilson

Default 240volt vs. 120volt

The actual motor wire carries the same current on either voltage. You are
changing from parallel to series connection of the windings.
The drop mentioned is in the feed wire. If it were very large wire, the saw
wouldn't know the difference, but when more current is drawn and the saw
starts to bog down, then the current goes up even more and things snowball.
By keeping the voltage up by drawing less current on 220 and having less
sag, you allow the motor to do its thing and produce rated power at rated
current.

At lower voltage (sag) and higher current, heating rises in the motor
because of IR drop in the windings. This is true at either voltage, but
starts at higher loads because of less drop in the feed.

Wilson
wrote in message
By doubling the voltage, the current is halved. Therefore the I/R (voltage
drop of the wire, which is a function of the current and resistance in

wire)
is cut in half. (more voltage to the saw).
The saw starts better (the most current is on startup) runs better, cooler

and
should last longer.
Just my $0.02

Frank

Brandt in western Canada wrote:

Does changing the voltage capability on my TS allow me to work the saw
harder or does it simply help prevent overheating and burnout and a few
breaker runs?

I have already blown out a capacitor on the motor, ugh. (120volt

setting)