mike

Default constructing a wooden scaffold

Frank Shute wrote in message ...
On 7 Jun 2004 14:56:39 -0700, mike wrote:

Frank Shute wrote in message

I need to put up scaffolding around my summer house in Finland in
order to do some work on the outside.

Since softwood lumber is plentiful and cheap there I was thinking of
building it myself.

Has anybody tackled a project like this and if so would they have any
useful links that explain how to go about it.

TIA.

Frank, I built ladder type scaffold that I use over and over again.
Consists of 7"-6" 2x4 posts. 5/4 x 3 1/2" x 30" horizontal members and
4pcs 1x3 X braces.The 2x4 posts are mortised 3 1/2" wide on 12"
centers. The first mortise is 18" from bottom. I kept the total height
under 8'-0" so I can use it inside a house as well. I keep a ladder
nearby to climb up on scaffold. Total width is 30" ,height 7'-6". Nice
and light to use,rigid if you brace properly.If you need more height
an A frame type scaffold can be built. Does not allow for different
heights though.

Sounds good. I don't suppose you took any photos of your erection?
...if you'll pardon the expression.

I think I get the picture. How did you tie the braces to your your 2
ladders though?

My main problem is that the ground around the house is uneven in parts
which doesn't help matters.

No pics Frank.The braces are screwed to the ladder frames, simple and
easily changed from one length to another. I used 2" screws, flathead
,roundhead, whatever I had in my pocket.When the ground is uneven ,
take the time to place a short mudsill where the legs go and level it
off. If your ground varys a lot in height you might be better off with
a patent scafffold with screwjacks. I have set my scaffold on ground
that varied about a foot in 8'-0". Takes a little work to safely level
off the mudsills, maybe two or three minutes per section when the
ground is uneven.
mike