Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Piano Hinges. Was == Latest Project

On 6/16/2013 1:09 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 6/16/2013 3:34 AM, Leon wrote:
Roy wrote:
OK, I need some help understanding why piano hinges could be a
problem due to
sag. I'm a hobbyist and have used piano hinges a few times, but
never with the
hinge in the vertical position.

I recall a couple magazine articles about building your own big roll
around
storage cabinet that used full length (6-7 feet) piano hinges to open up
multiple sets of shelves depicted as having heavy jars of screws,
etc. And as I
think of it, each of these sets of shelves had a caster supporting the
non-hinged side. So I guess I just answered my own question about
this piece of
shop furniture. But I'd still like to understand how a piano hinge
would sag
when used for a thread cabinet.

Thanks for the info.

Roy

"

Piano hinges are designed to be used in a horizontal orientation where
the
load is placed mostly evenly in the same direction on the hinge pin and
along its entire length to maintain alignment. Used vertically that
load is
transferred unevenly along its length. Add to that most piano hinges are
relatively inexpensive for their size and are not typically of a high
quality, they are easily bent out of shape.

Not sure I understand that. Piano hinges have been used to hold heavy
tool doors on work cabinets for a long time. I would think they actually
reduce sag since there are more points of contact. While not as robust
as a regular door hinge you would not be able to fit a door hin in this
instance. So I'm not so sure I think they lead to sag..
I think it depends on what the load is, and how it's used. I think
having a slight rebate for the hinge helps avoid issues.

Reread all of what I said, typically the ones you buy are not of high
quality and easily bend. The ones you refer to on steel cabinet doors
are normally welded in place so that there is no give where attached and
are a better quality hinge that you normally find at a ww store or the
big box. FWIW the piano hinges used on both of the 45" doors on the
spool cabinet that the builder used are still firmly fixed with all 44
screws on each side but there is wiggle on both sides. As a result one
side sags more than the other. Had the builder used 3 pair of Euro
style hinges for about the "same price" there would have been no
play/wiggle and any sag that may develop over the years, for what ever
reason, could be easily adjusted out. I am paying $1.28 for each Euro
style hinge and they come with a life time warranty.