Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Piano Hinges. Was == Latest Project

On 6/16/2013 3:34 AM, Leon wrote:
Roy wrote:
OK, I need some help understanding why piano hinges could be a problem due to
sag. I'm a hobbyist and have used piano hinges a few times, but never with the
hinge in the vertical position.

I recall a couple magazine articles about building your own big roll around
storage cabinet that used full length (6-7 feet) piano hinges to open up
multiple sets of shelves depicted as having heavy jars of screws, etc. And as I
think of it, each of these sets of shelves had a caster supporting the
non-hinged side. So I guess I just answered my own question about this piece of
shop furniture. But I'd still like to understand how a piano hinge would sag
when used for a thread cabinet.

Thanks for the info.

Roy

"

Piano hinges are designed to be used in a horizontal orientation where the
load is placed mostly evenly in the same direction on the hinge pin and
along its entire length to maintain alignment. Used vertically that load is
transferred unevenly along its length. Add to that most piano hinges are
relatively inexpensive for their size and are not typically of a high
quality, they are easily bent out of shape.

Not sure I understand that. Piano hinges have been used to hold heavy
tool doors on work cabinets for a long time. I would think they actually
reduce sag since there are more points of contact. While not as robust
as a regular door hinge you would not be able to fit a door hin in this
instance. So I'm not so sure I think they lead to sag..
I think it depends on what the load is, and how it's used. I think
having a slight rebate for the hinge helps avoid issues.

--
Jeff who has to work today. No time to play in the shop.