Posted to rec.woodworking
CW[_8_] CW[_8_] is offline

Default Now: Piano Hinges. Was == Latest Project

"Roy" wrote in message news

OK, I need some help understanding why piano hinges could be a problem due
sag. I'm a hobbyist and have used piano hinges a few times, but never with
the
hinge in the vertical position.

I recall a couple magazine articles about building your own big roll around
storage cabinet that used full length (6-7 feet) piano hinges to open up
multiple sets of shelves depicted as having heavy jars of screws, etc. And
as I
think of it, each of these sets of shelves had a caster supporting the
non-hinged side. So I guess I just answered my own question about this
piece of
shop furniture. But I'd still like to understand how a piano hinge would
sag
when used for a thread cabinet.
The difference between a regular hinge and a piano hinge is length. That is
it.