Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default Now: Piano Hinges. Was == Latest Project

Roy wrote:
OK, I need some help understanding why piano hinges could be a problem due to
sag. I'm a hobbyist and have used piano hinges a few times, but never with the
hinge in the vertical position.

I don't have the experience to say whether it would sag or not. But I
can see that the forces exerted on the hinges, by the open doors
of the cabinet, stress it in the worst possible way--particularly the
little "feet" that wrap around the rod (please excuse my terminology).

Bill

I recall a couple magazine articles about building your own big roll around
storage cabinet that used full length (6-7 feet) piano hinges to open up
multiple sets of shelves depicted as having heavy jars of screws, etc. And as I
think of it, each of these sets of shelves had a caster supporting the
non-hinged side. So I guess I just answered my own question about this piece of
shop furniture. But I'd still like to understand how a piano hinge would sag
when used for a thread cabinet.

Thanks for the info.

Roy

On Sun, 09 Jun 2013 21:31:29 -0500, Leon wrote:

Sonny wrote:
On Sunday, June 9, 2013 4:12:58 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
Now think of making hundreds as the company that builds this unit does,
think gang boring might ease production effort?
Well, yes, when they're being mass produced.

Sonny

I do agree that probably with less setup trouble and cost, drilling holes
for a hand full of cabinets would best be done with already available
tools. But I knew that these particular cabinets were being mass produced.
The cabinet appears to be pretty well constructed and the joints are very
good but the use of the piano hinges and lack of a decent finish is a
little hard on the eyes. The piano hinges used in this orientation is an
open invitation for sag, and the doors already have a bit of sag. In
anticipation of this I beveled the front and extended the front of the
"step up" to help realign the door fronts when returning them to the closed
position.